Hey-o people of the world wide web. I guess there’s a little…I want to call it a bloggy “fwd” because it’s like one of those guilt trip emails we’ve all seen where people tell you they love you and then try to obligate you to forward the same email to everyone you know and love as well…going around. Well, my good friend Chelsy got it and gave me a “blog award.” Even though, I don’t particularly care for the “fwd” aspect of it, I am really flattered that she though of me out of all the blogs she reads…which is a lot judging by her blogroll! And I know she really does like me and it’s not just out of obligation that she chose to name me, which means a lot to me because I respect and admire her as a person.
So because I don’t want to just ignore the thoughtfulness of her gesture, but I also don’t really want to follow all of the “rules,” I’m doing a little 7 Random Things About Me post. I will also share a few blogs that get me through the middle-of-the-night feedings, but I don’t plan to contact any of them about it.
So, without further ado…Seven Random Things About Me:
1. The biggest thing I want people to know about me is that my outer appearance is really inconsistent with what I admire in appearances. I love people with style! I wish I was more stylish myself, but I think it comes down to the fact that I am just too cheap and lazy to maintain any particular “look.” However, I have been thinking a lot about low-maintenance ways to achieve a more polished look. Call it a pseudo-resolution. So to summarize; I’m cooler than I look. I swear! And if I have any success with my low-maintenance plan…I’ll blog about it!
2. This is on my “About” page but I want to elaborate. I love pop music. I love a tune I can bob my head to. I love songs about the animal magnetism that permeates a good DJ’s dance floor. I love songs about one-night stands and club flings because I love the wild abandon of what I will call the party life. HOWEVER. I also love in a deeper and more loyal fashion one band that rises above all others. That band is TOOL. There is no greater music than TOOL for me. Much the same way that Dooce recently described Radiohead, TOOL has been the soundtrack for almost all of the defining moments in my life. The way I’ve “grown up” has evolved very similarly to the trajectory of their albums. I’ve gone from the abject worship of a teenager to a loyal and critical fan. I loosely follow the side projects of the band members. It takes a lot for me to miss a live show. So, while I will shake my moneymaker to the latest mainstream dance track, the only artist I’ll give it up for is TOOL.
4. People talk about what they are “really” passionate about and what they would do if they didn’t have to work, you know. Well, I don’t have that. I mean, I don’t know what I would really love to do above all else. But I have discovered some hints at that elusive question, “What should I with my life?” What’s left of it anyway. Some dreams I have that just won’t die are:
To generate a passive income (oh, if only!) and then travel the world with James and the kids and whatever willing grandparents we can afford to bring along.
To chase winter around the globe with my snowboard and James…and the kiddos of course. Related: To take some lessons in riding the pipe, hitting jumps, hitting bumps and riding in general. And thereby get over my fears of getting hurt.
To own vacation homes around the world. And then to actually spend time at all of them.
5. James and I have been dating since October of 1997. We also dated other people for the first 8 months of 2001. We lived the “party life” for a while in 2005 & 2006. We got married in March 2007. Where did the last 4 years go?
6. I am afraid of dying. Like, really afraid. Like, I can’t even think about it too hard or I start to freak out, afraid. But even more than that…I am afraid of losing my children and what it would do to me.
7. I don’t watch TV if I can help it. Not because I don’t like it per se, but because I have this weird problem where I lose awareness of my surroundings when I get immersed in a TV program. Thank goodness we didn’t have iPhones back when…because James has caught me smiling, nodding, and moving my lips while watching the TV in a zombie-like state. Then again, if I had video maybe you would believe me. When I’m in full zombie-mode, a person could come up right next to me, say my name and talk to me, talk about me, and I wouldn’t even hear them. I’ll know they’re making noise but it won’t compute. It’s almost like I have an out of body experience. So we don’t have TV service at our house. Just DVDs. Unfortunately for me, we can stream YouTube to our television, which is just like TV. We regularly watch several daily vloggers, but I don’t want to spill who they all are just yet. I’ve got a blog post that I’ve been thinking about on that.
So, there you go. Now you know seven more things about me…some of you already knew a lot of that…and if you did…there’s not much you don’t know about me. Susan, I’m looking at you
Now…here are a few blogs I enjoy reading:
Although, I love those blogs…the ones I usually click first in my reader are the people I currently have a stronger personal connection to:
…though I am trying to make friends here in Pittsburgh as well. Probably would help to get out of the house.